Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Tidbits from the Marjanens

When I took Anatomy & Physiology in pre nursing school, it certainly didn't resemble anything like the building of this body!

Jari joined the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary recently and volunteered to help make a dummy for search & rescue training purposes. So ... that foam truck comes in handy! Fill up a pair of jeans, fill up a shirt & then tuck it into a suit supplied by the Coast Guard. Jari wasn't able to attend the training weekend, but they said the "dude" did a good job of floating.

Tonite he went to a meeting. Came home with an award and a name plate. (doesn't look like a badge to me ... looks like a military name plate) He is having fun with this, hoping to get some time, hours, and training in
before we leave. Then a transfer to flotilla in Alaska, where the auxiliary is very active.





This is one of my "Goal Projects" for the week. It is accomplished!! I emptied all the photo albums. I can't spare the time to sort through the pictures, put every one of them in order
and into new albums. If I get everything else done ... then I'll drag out the boxes. I emptied 12 albums, filled several boxes, labeled them, and will tuck them into a very special trunk.
Yesterday evening I started feeling a bit maudlin and then realized why. I glanced at nearly every picture I had taken in 20 years! I saw pictures from my 6th grade field trip, youth days, high school graduation, the Eifel Tower in Paris, getting married, 5 babies, lots of camping trips, vacations to MN, so many birthdays, a few funerals. Wow!
There was this one box that I opened. I shuddered. I added several more things. And I closed the lid. What on earth do you do with negatives that you will in all likelihood never use? Do you pitch them? Where on earth do we accumulate all this STUFF??!!!
I even managed to move "family videos" into boxes for packing in the trunk!
The girls and I cleaned out their room. It echoes in there tonite. The bed, dresser and nightstand are the only things left. Then Jari has the wonderful pleasure of texture, paint, floors and trim. Put the room back together and hit the next one down the hall!
1 room = 2 kitchen trash bags of "pitch it" + 1 extra large bag of donate it. The pitching feeling is so awesome!
Enough from here for tonite. Will try add pics of the rocking chair that I shouldn't have added to my household, but dearly love, and my floor in the next few days. Have a great day all!



15 comments:

Kuoppala and Inlaws said...

Can anyone tell me why the 1st 3 pics show up huge when you click on them and the 2nd 3 fit on my screen? Might it be the setting the camera was at? I added them the same way to this entry. Strange.
-a

Kuoppala and Inlaws said...

Anita,
Now to take the picturs out of the boxes and scrapbook them =)

When you figure out what to do with the negatives, how to sort them, etc. let me know. I have a feeling Becky has an easy answer to this or Frans and Jenny. I've thought about throwing mine away, but scrapbooking the pictures makes it impossible to just bring the photo in and have it copied if ever needed.

I told Shawn you could use him down there for a week. He jumped at the chance. I don't think so...

Heather

Kuoppala and Inlaws said...

Why not? You could come along and just make it a "working vacation". Just don't think about the nonexistant PTO. :)
-a

Kuoppala and Inlaws said...

I have a great way of sorting negatives! You can buy negative holders that fit into a three ring binder. They have slots that the negatives slide into and a spot on the top to write what is on the negs. I get mine at Ritz camera, but I am sure that Frans or Jenny can find them in a photography catalogue.

~MISSI~

Kuoppala and Inlaws said...

Awesome idea Missi. I'm going to have to find some so I can sort out all of my negatives. It would be so easy to stay organized after I firsts get organized.

Anita,
I'm not so sure about coming down to AZ. I am trying to build up my vacation time. Don't get me wrong, it would be fun, but I think I'll try to build up PTO so we can come to Alaska and stay with you in your igloo. Well, on 2nd thought, maybe we will stay with Amber and Ryan and come have coffee in your igloo. I'd love to get there after Amber's baby is born.

Heather

Kuoppala and Inlaws said...

Missi: the problem is the negatives that I haven't used in 20 years and am not likely to use. Do you keep those too?

Heather: I like igloo coffee idea better.
-a

Kuoppala and Inlaws said...

A & J:
Dave said he may get to do his Alaska fishing trip after all. He will go fishing with Jari and I can sip hot chocolate with Anita in the igloo. (smiles)
Farmington K's

Kuoppala and Inlaws said...

all can come to visit... but please bring your tools. We will need all the help we can get fixing up the house. LOL
Jari

Kuoppala and Inlaws said...

We will be there to visit with tools: fishing rods, tackle, net,...

I would love to come to Alaska to help build a house.

Heather

Kuoppala and Inlaws said...

Anita,

I do keep all my negatives! But that is just me. I have a "thing" with pictures and don't throw anything away. It took me YEARS to learn to throw away the duplicate pictures or the ones that did not turn out the way I had intended.

~MISSI~

Kuoppala and Inlaws said...

Anita. about your first comment. Yes it is eather the setting on the camara or it was edited after. The coputer screen goes by pixal's so if you take it in a large j-peg format it will fill up the whole page plus some depending on the camera. You can set the size you want it to be by cropping it with any picture editing software. On our website the thumbnail pics are 95px by somthing and the large ones are 650px by somthing. This only works on the pics after you click on it. Blogger has there own sizing tool when you post it on the page. Small medium and large. Hope that makes sense.
Frans

Kuoppala and Inlaws said...

Thanks heather love to have you there. Hope all make it, we can have a family fishing and building trip!!!!!!!!! Eat fish and more fish and more fish.... YUUUMMMMMMM!! and hey.. thanks for the b-day card to.nice picture.

Jari

Kuoppala and Inlaws said...

oh man now i have many places to go, i wonder when i will get to, up north i told heather i would go up there, down to AZ i got Frans ad Jenny, Alaska, farmington! wow! well i will have fun :) have a good day -debbie

Kuoppala and Inlaws said...

Hey, yeah, and in order to get to the igloo Heather, I will have to come so I can provide the transportation to and from the igloo via dogsled! : ) LK.

Kuoppala and Inlaws said...

I love it Laurie! Just let me know so I can pack that salmon in the snowbank to freeze. Ought to be some other kind of critter meat too!
-a