Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Lindula's

I hope everyone is doing great. Things up here are going well. The weather has been beautiful. Jen and I were able to go garage saling on Saturday and purchase a Blazer full of stuff. All very valuable to us =). It rained and I was excited thinking that there wouldn't be too many people out, I guess everyone else thought the same thing. I also worked a lot on flower beds and got a lot of other things done. Shawn worked all weekend putting up block for Ralph and Judy as they are building on Spirit Lake Road. They got the block work done (13 rows of 12 inch block). I have a goal of getting my flower beds done before Anita and others get up to the Range.
This next weekend, as long as it remains dry enough, we have a lot of field work to do. I'll be plowing, Shawn spreading ashes. Hopefully the weather cooperates.
One of my cats had her kittens. She had one and lost 2. She wouldn't feed it, so we brought it in the house and fed it, sadly, it didn't make it. My other cat has had her kittens, but she must be caring for them. She is gone for hours, comes back and eats me out of house and home, then disappears again. Hopefully we'll see the kittens soon.
As for the chickens, so far, we have lost 3 (that's not bad). They are getting really big so we should be butchering them in a month or less. Someone asked about the food. We have been buying a lot of food. So far, we bought 2 bags of chick starter, then probably 8-10 bags of meat bird feed. They are drinking 8-10 gallons of water per day. Makes a person wonder why they bother raising chickens, but then you eat them and they taste so much better than store bought chicken.
Hope everyone has a great day.

3 comments:

Kuoppala and Inlaws said...

save some weeding for me!
-anita

Kuoppala and Inlaws said...

Oh, there will be plenty. You can weed, weed, and weed some more. I'm hoping to have a vegetable garden this year. Shawn said he'd bring me to the greenhouse this weekend, so we'll see what we come home with. I love this gardening thing, but it is so time consuming; I understand why many wait until they retire to do the work. I started working on my flower beds when I got home at 4:30 yesterday and didn't go into the house until after 8:30, ate supper, and went back out to water things in the dark. By the time all was said and done it was 10PM; I couldn't do it if I had any sore of life to lead. It is so much fun though. The sad part is, when I was trying to go to sleep, I saw weeds sprouting where I had just pulled them. Hopeully the PTSD doesn't last too long - it should diminish when I get the beds done and then just have the weeding to keep up with.

Kuoppala and Inlaws said...

I attempted planting vegies. The chives & peppers never came up. The peas did and the sun burnt them up. We got to pick a few to eat before they wilted away. The tomatoes still look hopeful. Actually the plants are looking really good. Will see if they give up any tomatoes. I would love to have above ground garden boxes. Maybe this fall.