Wednesday, May 24, 2006

From the sunny & HOT southwest

Well, we once again joined the ranks of chickendom. Problem this time is that we presently have 2 roosters and 1 hen. I distinctly (as do the folks who were visiting us!) remember the previous rooster. When they came to join us there were actually 2 hens. The 4 were placed in a sideways lying dishwasher box ... with a board in front of the door so they wouldn't "escape". Wasn't very long at all & the bottom of the "chicken pile" didn't survive. Am really hoping that someone trades us hens for these 2 roosters. Brock figures we should bring it to the vet and have it's crowing ability clipped. Am not quite up for that one! Will have to post pics of the chickens residence. It is ever changing. Think we'll skip the butchering party ... Heather, you don't need to save yours for me either. (smile)

Anyone up for digging holes in rock hard ground tomorrow? We have almost 180 feet of back fence that needs vines growing along it. Mind you I kill everything that isn't cactus/desert related. They just seem to multiply on their own and don't need much from me. Now I am going to try planting some vines ... low water and love the sun. Let's hope that is a winning combination.

Have a great day all!
Anita

3 comments:

Kuoppala and Inlaws said...

I love the picture. You may be able to make it in time to help butcher the chickens. We lost another one the other day. I don't know what happens to them. Then, we have one that hasn't been growing, so Shawn tried to eliminate it; he threw it out of the chicken coop and voila - my bird dogs did there job. But then poor Jake tucked his tail between his legs because he thought he was in trouble. How to teach my dogs not to kill the cats or chase the horses, but they can eat flying chickens, squirrels, but no skunks. My poor dogs are going to need therapy.

Kuoppala and Inlaws said...

It's Heather again - What type of vine are you going to grow on your fence? I think Clematis grows down there. You could do that and then join the National Clematis association. It looks like they go to different members homes for tours of the gardens. I've been researching the internet to get tips on plants. I'm going to plant clematis and morning glory to crawl up my arbor. Have fun with the planting.

Kuoppala and Inlaws said...

The vines are in!! Bougainvilla, cats claw and jasmine for now. Bougainvilla between the RV gate and the small gate, then I alternated the other two coming down the fence. Still need at least one more to make it to where the mesquite tree is at the corner of the house. I am not a fan of lattice, but am going to put it up on 2 sections of the patio & plant some vine there ... passion vines for that one ... as long as they don't need full sun. If they do, then I'll just have to read the trusty planting guide again. My neighbor thinks I should put in sprinkler systems. I am beginning to wonder what is going to happen when I'm gone this summer. Will have to set up the bucket brigade & Blayde can just fill them. Would hate to come home to everything wilted and dead. Then I need some yard planning. An arbor would really be neat ... so would a short block/stone wall curved around a bbq pit. So many ideas ... a subscription to Sunset magazine might not be a good thing. Gets me confused!! Have a great day!