Friday, September 19, 2008

My First Bull

Here are a few pics of Frans' elk... he just got home, so will take more pics tomorrow. Shot at about 46 yards.


Kuoppala and Inlaws said...

Congratulations! Where were you? Were you on your own or with a party?

No guessing what you'll be having for dinner from now til next year at this time ;)

When Wayne and Sakari went moose hunting in the boundry waters shortly after we got married, I wasn't at all disappointed that they didn't get one. I think they were too, because getting one would have meant trying to pack it out of where they were.

Kuoppala and Inlaws said...

That's awesome! Congrats!

Kuoppala and Inlaws said...

I had the opportunity of eating elk when I lived in Colorado. Very tasty! Looks like you could of gotten a ton of meat from this fella, it is huge!!!
He is a prize!!!
Farmington Jo

Kuoppala and Inlaws said...

He was big. One of the problems with him he was old. After so many years old the rack starts to lose it's mass. The guy that it doing my mount said a few years ago the rack would have been huge. I went hunting with two other guys that were on the same tag. I got mine the first Tues. The stupid thing ran about 150 yards into a lot of dead fall trees. went up the next day and found it. By the time we would have gotten the meet down it would not have been good. The next Sat. one of the other guys got one that we called in. That one we found right away because it only went about fifteen yards. We backed out 250 pounds of meat down from his. Then the next Tues. the last guy got his. He had never been hunting before and when he shot it it took of real fast so he thought that he must have missed. He looked for blood and looked for the elk for a while but found nothing so he never called me.On wed. night I talked to him and he tells me the story and I told him it is dead and he had to walk right by it. after work on thursday he came with me and we went and looked for it and I found it fifty yards from were he had shot it. He had walked not more than twenty yards from it when he was looking for it. Do not know how he had missed it. The bears and mountain lions had chowed it up pretty good but I had brought a saw along and I cut his head plate off and measured him so he could bring it in for a mount. The bummer thing is I left my cell phone up there and the ivory's. (elk have two ivory teeth). From were we have to park it is a two mile hike up a mountain starting at 7500 feet going up two 10,000 feet. It tires a guy out a little bit but know that I have been up the mountain five times it is getting easier. So on sunday afternoon I might go back up with pliers to get the ivorys and hopefully my phone. So between the three of us we are going to split one elk for eatin. Hope you had the patience to read all of this. More hunting storys to come because over the counter tags for Mule deer hunting starts in December.