Wednesday, August 20, 2008

My life lately ....

Jari is up on the North Slope and went to view the Arctic Ocean this evening ... and I got a photo via cell phone. (What did we do before technology?!) 30F up there this evening.

So this week while he's been gone ...

Got the "mud room" cleaned. Where do I put 5 pair of Jari's shoes/boots? Add everyone elses to the mix and oh my. Have been internet surfing for ideas ... will see what I finally come up with!
I really didn't mean to hit the rhubarb plants yesterday, but wandered out that way and started picking. Cleaned out 3 or 4 of the small bushes and 1 of the big ones. Picked what looked decent and pitched the rest. While I was cleaning I felt what I thought felt like a raindrop. Hmm. No rain. Have you ever had that drip feeling? Hate to say it, but reminded me of milk overflow way back when. Certainly can't be that. It just kept sort of nagging while I picked rhubarb ... and I just kept kind of puzzling. Finally came in and looked inside the shirt to see what it was that was driving me crazy. A SLUG. Now how on earth did a slug manage to fly down my shirt??? Do they jump? From rhubarb and rotting rhubarb leaves to down my shirt? Yuck. They really do feel like wet stuff tho' ... and I froze 18 cups of chopped rhubarb tonite.
Saturday morning Jari & I snuck out about 5:30 a.m. and went fishing. My first time AK fishing!! Now I am no good at it. Nearly everytime I go fishing I manage to break a kids rod. No change there! Somehow I broke the tip off Brock's. Still don't have the reel it in technique down ... my silver salmon ended up on someone else's plate ... but it was fun! Jari brought home some dinner. Hoping we can go again when he comes home in a week and a half. Would really like to get some more salmon and smoke some of it.
Kids are back in school. It started Monday and we'll get in the routine of this before long ... I keep hoping. Bus comes at 6:30 in the morning which means my eyelids should be opening about 5:30. Let's hope tomorrow morning has me a bit brighter eyed a bit earlier!
Ta ta for now!
-a

5 comments:

Kuoppala and Inlaws said...

Overall, it sounds like a pretty good life. Beautiful scenery, fishing where everyone here dreams of, and having time to weed the garden even though you didn't mean to even if you get the occasional slug down your shirt. Looking forward to the time when we can come and visit. #9

Kuoppala and Inlaws said...

mmmmm, i love salmon! maybe i'll make a costco run tomorrow and grill some up tomorrow night!
I can't believe how early your kids have to get on the bus! and I grumble about having to wake up by 7:40, and be out the door by 8:15!! Although, the bus would be a lot nicer than having to drive them!
Great pic of the arctic ocean!
Jenny

Kuoppala and Inlaws said...

Most of the time Isä just washes
his lures!! A good day of fishing
he says is when he doesn't have to
clean any! I'd like to fry some! dk

Kuoppala and Inlaws said...

I agree with #9. "Sounds like a pretty good life." While I would appreciate the scenery, etc., I would rather not share the slugs.

I admire your ability to represent every day life in a way that makes it interesting for all of us!
-b

Kuoppala and Inlaws said...

I need to try get up there for some fishing. That is a good sized fish you got there Yari.
Frans