Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Butch Baasi

SERVICE: A gathering of family and friends will be from noon until the 1 pm memorial service Thursday at the Clinton Town Hall in Iron with Pastor Arthur Dale officiating. Arrangements are with the Landmark Funeral Home of Virginia.

Oliver W. "Butch" Baasi, 65, of Iron passed away Sunday, July 12, 2009, after a lengthy illness at his home with his family by his side. Butch was born at home on April 9, 1944, to Oliver and Ann (Sherock) Baasi and was a lifelong Iron resident.He was a graduate of the Cherry High School and the Duluth Vo-Tech. After serving in the Army National Guard, he worked for Malton Electric and General Electric before beginning his business in 1986. He owned and operated Midtown Machine and Mechanical in Iron, teaching his son Rob the trade and business. During his career he also worked repairing engines and generators on iron ore ships throughout the Great Lakes.

Butch was a member of the Experimental Aircraft Association of Hibbing, and he loved politics, his Harley and his dogs. He traveled around the world looking for new adventures and liked to experience different cultures. His dream was to build and fly his own airplane, which was interrupted by his illness.

Butch is survived by his sons, Kenneth (Kim) Baasi of Iron and Robert (Amy) Baasi of Cherry; his sister, Mary Ann Vukich (Lauren Nelson), of Britt; grandchildren, Kory, Andrea, Tiffany, Olivia, and Isabelle; three great-grandchildren; a nephew, Michael Vukich, of Virginia; and his other "kids," dogs Bernice and Willie.

He was preceded in death by his parents and his dog Ernie.


Kuoppala and Inlaws said...

Wow, thank you so much for posting this. Will get a sympathy card out in tomorrow's mail.

Kuoppala and Inlaws said...

Thank you for posting this. Hope Rob and Amy and the rest of the family are coping with it alright. I had no idea that he was even battling an illness. Shawn and/or Heather could you or would you send our condolences to Rob and Amy. Jenny says that I have up to a year to get a card sent out so I better get on the ball so I get it there in time.


but now as she reads this she is wondering if any one knows how late you can be sending a card before it is improper. Not that I plan on waiting until the last minute or anything I just heard about this today.

Kuoppala and Inlaws said...

We were in AZ when Ed Takala died.
Have not sent a card yet. I don't
think it matters how late you send
the card, it matters that you are
remembering and if you can write a
few personal remembrances, I think
it would be appreciated. That said, I should get busy and sent
Jim and Jan Takala a card; also to
Rob and Amy. dk

Kuoppala and Inlaws said...

I don't have a clue as to what the proper timeline is, but. . . I often waited over a year to send a card. In it i simply say "as time has passed the memories of your loved one remains with you. Would like to share a few with you." The thank you's that I have gotten are pretty neat! That's all I know.

Kuoppala and Inlaws said...

I meant to say "remains with me"